14 March 2008

some people's children...

*** Caution: Somewhat long-winded RANT ahead ***

are very, very ill behaved. Very. Rude, obnoxious, dangerous & just plain oblivious. And I don't mean 'children' as in little kids, or any of my friends' children... just SOME people's children, most of whom are adults now, but they are still Someone's Kid, you know? And Someone didn't do a very good job of instilling safe driving habits, manners or just plain old common courtesy...

I ventured forth from my hovel today for the first time since Monday (well, except a quick doctor/chicken soup run on Wednesday!) because I was running low on provisions (read: toilet paper, Kleenex & drugs!). I needed quite a few things from Costco, so I decided to meet Kelli & Emily there for a quick 'Costco run'. On the way to Costco, I nearly got T-boned by some genius coming out of a gas station parking lot at about 60mph. I swerved, honked & probably fingered him and he wouldn't even look at me - no sheepish apology wave, no mouthing 'I'm so sorry!', nothing! Some people's children!

So, we get to Costco, get a cart & go inside... there are so many people there! Like, half of Kelowna! Oh, yes, forgot, it is 'Payday Friday'... whoops... the lines are wrapping around into the main aisles... but, surely they will be better after we've made our rounds, right?

We got coupons, looked at books & rugs & super cute baby clothes (for all of my friends who are expecting!)... Anyhow, I'm stopped in the book aisle, checking out 'The Other Boleyn Girl', and some guy just rams my cart out of 'his way'... and into my side. Now, it's not like I was stopped in the middle of the aisle, not even sort of! - I had my cart aligned along the book stand, directly in front of me, allowing plenty of room for a cart to pass to the right of me. I'm standing there, checking out the books and, WHAM! No 'Excuse me!' or 'I'm sorry!' or 'Whoops!' - nothing! just rammed me and kept on going... nice! Some people's children!

It also happened to be a good day for samples at Costco today... yummy lemon mousse cake, perogies, oven fries, delectable dilly ranch salad dressing! YUM! We could have eaten dinner there! So, anyhow, I'm waiting behind one man at the counter for a sample, and this other guy comes up along side of me and kind of slides in right beside the person serving the samples and grabs 2... then, just as I'm about to reach for the next one that the server puts on the tray, this woman comes straight out of left field and grabs it right out from under my hand! Seriously! I was, like, inches from grabbing it! WTH!??! Some people's children!

So, we're kind of tired of the mob scene and we've got what we came for, & we found the much sought after iced coffee drink (yay!)... we get in line, we pay, we decide we want an iced Mocha from the concession. Kelli & I are standing in line, waiting to order. The server was busy and said he'd just be a minute finishing whatever it was he was doing. We're standing in line, waiting, chatting... waiting... we're the only 2 in line at this point. Shortly, however, a couple comes up behind us and stands there for about... mmm... 4 seconds... then, they cut around us and head to the till and try to place their order with the cashier at the till. The cashier politely informed them, pointing to us, that there was a line and that they would have to wait their turn for service. They came back, grumbling about how were they supposed to know where to go, & how disorganized 'this whole line thing' is(?) and how they didn't know we were in line ('cause you all know how Kelli & I just like to stand and look at the pizza!), at which point Kelli remarked (not so quietly!) that yes, in fact, we did just like to stand there and sniff pizza and fry fumes! They came back, stood behind us again, now wedging in ahead of some others who'd since joined the line, waited another 4-5 seconds, grumbled some more and finally said, "Well, we'll just leave then!", and stormed out. Um, yeah, whatever! Some people's children!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Let's not go to Costco on a payday, or the last day of school before a holiday, or before dinner time.